Carol of the Bells for String Quartet
By vaughan • 13th December 2011 • Posted in: Manor House Music Recordings
Carol Of The Bells for String Quartet – The Manor House String Quartet included an arrangement by Vaughan Jones of the ‘Carol of the Bells’ on their second CD of string quartet Christmas carols called ‘It Came Upon The Midnight Clear and other carols’. This increasingly popular carol was written by a Ukranian composer called Mykola Leontovych in 1904 – like many carols, it has it’s origins in a traditional folk melody. The lyrics ‘Ring Christmas bells’ etc were added in 1947 and although Leontovych himself was shot dead in 1921, this piece has grown in worldwide popularity to become a mainstay of Christmas music.
In arranging the piece for part of a collection of carols for string quartet, one challenge was to keep the repeating figure fresh as the absense of words means that interest and texture has to be maintained and developed through the orchestration.
In the middle of the carol, I have written a violin solo in a Ukrainian folk fiddle style, to take the piece back to it’s roots. It’s a dramatic piece that comes towards the end of the album and is placed between two more contemplative carols to add contrast.
You can also purchase the sheet music of Vaughan’s arrangement for the combinations of string quartet and string orchestra here:
- Exciting Repertoire
- Manor House Music Concerts and recitals
- Manor House Music Recordings
- Other Functions and Events
- Our music quartet at weddings
- Videos and Media
- Violin and Piano Teaching
- Wedding String Quartet Useful Info
- Wedding Music at Laura Ashley The Manor Hotel Elstree
- Wedding Inspiration Day at Waddesdon March 4th 2018
- Local Classical Concert in Cuddington, Bucks
- Classical Music Concert at Cranfield
- Recitals for Wrigglers